Sunday, July 26, 2009

Wine Spectator Awards in Charlotte

So on my way back from a busniess trip to San Fransisco this week, I picked up a Wine Spectator. I don't subscribe, but I do pick them up occasionally. If we're being honest here, the mag intimidates me a little...but I'm learning to muscle through. With this issue, I commited to getting myself a subscription sometime in the near future.

The August 31 issue has the Annual Restaurant Awards, in which they recognize restaurants that offer excellent wine lists.

I immediately flipped to the North Carolina section to see which Charlotte restaurants were recognized:

Award of Excellence (One Glass Rating):
Arpa (RIP...this was our fave uptown spot)
Bonterra
Capital Grille
Copper
Fig Tree
Fleming's
McIntosh's (Again, RIP)
The Men's Club (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)
M5
Mimosa Grill
Morton's
131 Main
The Palm
Providence Cafe
Roosters
Ruth's Chris
Sonoma
Sullivan's
Upstream
Zink

Best Award of Excellence (Two Glass Rating):
Blue
Del Friscos
Noble's
Zebra

Unfortunately Charlotte couldn't boast any Grand Award winners (three glass rating), but we did have one in Raleigh: The Angus Barn, which has 1650 wine selections and has been a Grand Award winner since 1989. There were only 72 Grand Award winners this year in the world - and only 46 of those are in the US - so it's quite an honor.

Search the full list here.

I may be making a trip to Raleigh! Either that or the Men's Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment